Oat Biscuits Recipe
OAT BISCUITS RECIPE
GLUTEN-FREE, EGG-FREE, NUT-FREE, CAN BE DAIRY-FREE
These filling, yummy biscuits are super healthy, low in sugar, and great served plain or with a little butter or jam.
2 cups oat flour (You can make your own by grinding 2-1/3 cups of rolled oats in a food processor)
1 tsp salt
6 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp white or brown sugar
4 tbsp shortening, dairy-free margarine or butter
2/3 cup cold water or buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Put the dry ingredients in a food processor and mix briefly.
3. Add the shortening or butter and pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. With the food processor running, slowly add water or buttermilk and continue until all is combined.
5. You can try rolling it and cutting into shapes, however, I find the dough too sticky. I use a big spoon to scoop it out and then just shape it into 2” rounds. Using wet hands smooth out any rough edges so they are smooth and round. Next, you can brush the tops with a little buttermilk. This will make the tops smoother.
6. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.
7. These are so delicious plain, with butter, jam, apple butter, almost anything and they are very filling. The kids love them.